The NSW Beat Project was established in 2008 following an increasing and alarming level of police harassment and threatening behaviour, and the introduction of new and disturbing tactics which actively targets us at ‘known beats’ across Sydney.
- Provide information so beat users will be informed of their rights when dealing with police
- Collect and document incidences of police harassment at beats, with the aim to end police harassment
- Monitor and alert beat users of police harassment and homophobic violence at beats
- Effect change for the protection and safety of beat users
- Seek legislative change to remove homophobic laws and decriminalise public sex in NSW, looking at the Amsterdam model and similar moves in the UK for direction